My rating: 7/10
People need clarity.
Look at your website. Can you answer these in 5 seconds:
- What do we offer?
- How could what we offer make your life better?
- How can you purchase what we offer?
Can you 'grunt' what you're selling?
Vacuum cleaner. Cleaner floors. Peace of mind.
People buy what they understand the fastest.
7 Elements of Story
1. A character
The character needs something specific. The audience will wonder if the he/she gets what he want.
Customer is your hero, not your brand.
Savvy brands sell an identity.
What does your customer want or want to become?
2. With a problem
3 level of problems:
- External: the bomb
- Internal: does he have what it takes? How does that external problem make the character feel.
- Philosophical: good vs. terrorist. Should and ought.
The "Buy now" button is the climax that solves all 3 problems.
3. With a guide
Your brand is Yoda.
2 things you need to do:
- Empathy. The guide must be like the character.
- Have authority. Been there, done that.
4. Gives them a plan
- Process plan: Define step your customers need to take
- Agreement plan: A list of commitments you make with your customer
5. That calls them to action
- Direct at Top right: Buy now. Call us now. Will you marry me.
- Transitional: Watch this video. Get this PDF. Will you go out with me. This can help you to be known on a topic. Collect emails
6. That results in failure
What pain or frustrations are you helping me to avoid?
Don't appear too manipulative.
e.g. CarMax: Our 25-point checklist ensures you aren’t buying a lemon
7. That results in success
What is life with you?
- Show images of happy people using your product
e.g. Landscaping service: External problem solved: time gained Emotional: More time to enjoy the yard, less time wrestling with it.
What not to say
- Less choices. Max of 3 choices.
- Must pass the grunt test
- Mission based: The people we're helping are the hero. Tell their story and pivot the call to action to the donor.
- Donor based: Donor is the hero and how their world and identity can change if they donate.